Monday, May 22, 2006

Catching up

As I mentioned earlier, I'm making an attempt to catch up on some of the great games I missed during the current generation. My list is below, but it feels incomplete. If anyone has any more suggestions, leave them in the comments. (Even if I've played your choice, we can still talk about how awesome it was. Unless you choose something terrible, in which I case I will berate you without mercy.)

PlayStation 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Katamari Damacy
ICO

Xbox
Ninja Gaiden

GameCube

Actually, although I never played Super Mario Sunshine or Wind Waker, I'm pretty sure there's nothing else I need to play on the 'Cube. Resident Evil 4 was the alpha and the omega. Prove me wrong, kids -- prove me wrong!

5 comments:

avixe said...

As you're already familiar with Metroid Prime, I think the three bongo games are the only things you might've missed. Though I think you've played at least one of them.

R. J. O. Stewart said...

I've heard many a good thing about KOTOR 2 on Xbox.

Johnson said...

I'm mostly a Nintendo guy, so here goes.

I see Metroid Prime has been mentioned; I'll reinforce it. I'm fairly sure you've played it, though.

I'll also second the bongo games, though, really, only before you've played Guitar Hero. They were awesome before that, but after playing GH they just don't hold the same appeal. The non-musical one, though, I believe it's called DK Jungle Beat, was pretty cool. I still see some playability value in that.

Of course, I'm always up for talking about how awesome GH is.

I'll say that Wind Waker is worth playing, though not a must-have.

As a finale, and this may seem like it's coming out of left field, I'll nominate Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour as one of the best games for the 'Cube. Its replayability is second to none in my book (well, except for WoW, and even that gets challenged), and you can probably get your hands on it for $19.99 or less at this point.

OK, this is long enough for now.

Johnson said...

Oh, and Mario Baseball is worth a rental. I can't speak for Tennis or Strikers; I've heard mixed reviews for both.

Mitch said...

Some good stuff here. I can see Mario Golf being one of those "what the hell" purchases.