Tuesday, June 06, 2006

New Super Mario Bros.

You must play this game.


avixe said...

Agreed. Played it for the first time last week, and I picked it up on Monday. Fantastic game, and here's hoping this starts a new 2d renaissance.

Johnson said...

I picked this up last Sunday night but haven't unwrapped it yet. I somehow lost interest in the DS months ago and haven't done much since. I'm hoping it'll start a turn-around, though.

Mitch said...

Johnson, you're nuts.

Johnson said...

Tried to post this all day yesterday but Blogger was all screwed up.


What have I missed on the DS? It's sort of a rhetorical question to me, though. I was rabid about Super Mario 64 DS, Wario Ware DS, Nintendogs, and, to a point, Mario Kart DS. Mario Kart was sort of the last straw, though -- it was just cramping my hands up after one or two circuits.

I also bought Meteos, but didn't "get it." I'll admit it's quite possibly for lack of trying, though.

Maybe it'll all turn around with the DS Lite. I imagine I'll get rabid with this game here, as well.

I don't know. Sometimes I feel that the DS has been an uphill battle since launch, where I really want to be wowed by it, and sometimes I have to actively pursue the act of being wowed.

Wait -- or am I nuts just because I bought this game and haven't yet unwrapped it? Crap.

This comment is unwieldy in length at this point, so I'll pause for breath here. Thanks, once again, for letting me ramble.

Mitch said...

I meant that you're nuts because you haven't played the game. However, you're also nuts for not being wowed by the DS. It's the best system out there.

Johnson said...

Is it too much to ask that it not have to power down to switch between DS game, GBA game, or Pictochat?

I find the wireless setup to be too vague for the experienced user but possibly too complicated for the uninitiated. If you want to experience this, try connecting in the food court of the Cambridgeside Galleria. Or in my house.

I feel that the mic receptibility (yep, making up words at this point) in mic games in Wario Ware DS are tricky at best, at times bizarre. Yes, I was a 28-year-old smoker when working through that one, but I shouldn't get light-headed on each and every one.

These could all be looked at as small issues. My point is that they snowball to form a grey cloud in my head. It's not a black cloud, don't get me wrong -- I love the DS and a lot of the games for it -- it's jut that it's not the be-all-end-all I'd hoped it would be.

Here's to the DS Lite. I've still yet to hear if it retains Issue #1 up there, which pisses me off to no end.

Johnson said...

Oh. I started playing New Super Mario Bros. You were spot-on in that it kicks ass.

Mitch said...

Is it too much to ask that it not have to power down to switch between DS game, GBA game, or Pictochat?

You're so very right on this one. That's total bullshit. I've encountered similar issues in multiplayer, too. You shouldn't have to power down to get back there.

Johnson said...

These are the hard-hitting questions I have about the DS Lite that no one seems to be talking about. My guess is that it's still like that.