Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Break like the wind

My review of LostWinds is up now at thephoenix.com. Consider me not blown away -- this really is half a game, at best. If I'd known going in that it was intended to be episodic, my reaction might have been different.

I've read that one of the guys at Frontier thinks LostWinds' length compares favorably to bigger titles on a dollars-to-length ratio, and he may be correct on that math. But think about all the cheap casual games you can download with endless replay value, like puzzle games, and suddenly it's a less tempting proposition. No matter what I pay for a game, I want it to be a complete and fulfilling experience. While I'm not sorry that I spent ten bucks on this game, I wouldn't necessarily recommend that others do the same.

5 comments:

Michael Abbott said...

Hi Mitch. I disagree with your assessment of the game (which I found quite charming and easily worth $10) - but damned if you don't once again prove that your posts have the best titles in the business! ;-)

Mitch Krpata said...

If only I could take credit! My friend Ryan at the Phoenix jokingly suggested it as an alternate headline, and I figured I could at least appropriate for a blog -- where there are no standards.

Rodneylives said...

While I have been enjoying the game (playing it very sporadically, so I've not even finished it yet despite getting it on release day), I agree. The fact that it was Episode 1 should have been stated up front. In the rush to acclaim arguably the best WiiWare game released so far, few people have bothered to point this out.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....just based on that alone, I probably wouldn't bother buying the other episodes. The feeling of being cheated would override all.

Anonymous said...

I totally disagree with you. Lost Winds is well worth the money. Now Konamis Critter Round-Up on the other hand is total garbage.