Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Note to reviewers: It's broke. Please fix it.

Apologies if this stuff is only entertaining to me, although I'm starting to suspect that it's also amusing to the Metacritic editors. I was poking around for more examples of GameTrailers.com's grammatical pratfalls -- and they are legion -- when I encountered the best example yet of lazy clichés multiplying like Tribbles. The game is Guitar Hero III.

GameTrailers.com gives it an 85, and writes:
Guitar Hero III abides to the "If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it" approach by sticking to the tried-and-true formula established in the first game and honed in the second.

In the very next excerpt, also an 85, Electronic Gaming Monthly writes:

The "ain’t broke, don’t fix" approach is evident.

As is the "short deadline, tired critic" approach.

2 comments:

Reggie Donovan said...

I would like to point out that after reading this blog post, I went to check my review to make sure I didn't say this.

Mitch Krpata said...

These things can only make you stronger. Like when I read somebody calling out critics for saying any aspect of a game is "about what you'd expect," and realized I've used that phrase more than once. Never again!