Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Killing spree!

If you read between the lines of my Unreal Tournament III review, I think you'll find that what I'm really saying is that I liked it because I was good at it, which is not often the case with these things. I don't last a second in Tom Clancy games, or even Halo. Only once in my life have I been truly skilled at a game, better than most people, and that game was Quake II CTF. Playing UTIII reminded me a lot of those days. The rocket launcher feels almost exactly the same, even with a control pad. And so if these days I'm not really looking for the kind of gameplay you find in these skill-based multiplayer games, at least this one didn't grind me into a pulpy mess beneath the other players' boots. Hence, a positive review.

Is that cynical?

2 comments:

Mike said...

Granted, I'm always out of the loop on these things, but what's up with the numbering of the titles? Didn't it go something like UT, UTII, UT2k3, UT2k5, and now UTII?

Mitch Krpata said...

Wikipedia says this is the fourth Unreal Tournament game, but there were also the more traditional Unreal games and something called Unreal Championship. This is all new to me. I hadn't paid attention since the original UT.