Friday, December 24, 2010

Year in Review: The best games of 2010

Above: Not even a game of the year nod can make Ethan Mars smile.

We're wrapping up our recap of the year that was. Today: the best games of 2010.

We've saved the best for last. You can click through to the feature on thephoenix.com to read all the blurbs. Here's my list of the 10 best games of 2010.
  1. Heavy Rain
  2. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
  3. BioShock 2
  4. Rock Band 3
  5. Red Dead Redemption
  6. Dance Central
  7. DeathSpank
  8. Halo: Reach
  9. Bayonetta
  10. Final Fantasy XIII
That about wraps it up for 2010. As always, thank you so much for reading. Have a merry Christmas and a happy new year. We'll meet right back here in 2011.

4 comments:

TXYeti said...

Nice list. Can't say I agree with a lot of it, but it's good to see such a diversity of genres, especially in the top four alone.

Bayonetta was certainly one of the biggest surprises of the year for me, but apparently I'm the only person on earth who thought RDR was utter drek (seriously, three hours in and all I'd done is hunt animals and ride a horse around... booooring!)

I'd say Death Spank was the best XBLA title of the year (with Pac-Man CE DX giving it a run for its money late in the year).

I'd call BioShock 2 my most disappointing sequel of the year.

avixe said...

Just finished RDR yesterday - great game. I'm not generally one for side missions, and I can't say that the main storyline forced me to hunt more than half a dozen animals in 20 hrs. (And even then, most of those were at the very end.) TXYeti - just keep heading for the letters on the map and skip the animals :-]

Mitch Krpata said...

Didn't anybody notice that I forgot to link the feature? Ay yi yi.

Unknown said...

I really need to play Bayonetta with all of the accolades it's been getting (loved the demo, just never got around to picking up the full game).

And BioShock 2 couldn't NOT have been disappointing. It was a perfectly respectable (if inherently inessential) sequel which actually had some nicely improved game mechanics.