Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cry, cry again

Above: First you cry, and then, when you see the dancing, you cry again.

Now that it's been out for three weeks and has sold a million copies, I've taken the time to review Far Cry 2. Maybe this will convince a few holdouts that it's good. Really good. Somewhat of a tough nut to crack, I thought, but after maybe 4-5 hours I had fallen completely under its spell. Excellent work here by Hocking and co.

For even more ebullient praise, check out Ed Borden's diary-style review of Far Cry 2.

And, oh, what the heck -- as long as we're here, let's get one of the obligatory complaints out of the way. Why does everybody in this game talk so fast? They rush through their dialogue as though they're getting paid by the word. They sound like the Micro Machines guy, but without the joy. It's weird, because every single character does it: speaks in one long unbroken sentence, leaping from topic to topic.

Quite hypnotic.

10 comments:

Ed Borden said...

Ebullient = giddy fanboy shmuck, yeah I get it :)

You are so right about the dialogue -- those areas inside the buildings where all the scripted action takes place is by far the weakest part of the game. And you know, I think they could have gotten around doing that in a different way. I didn't really like feeling like those areas were "different" than the rest of the game.

Ben Abraham said...

This is going to betray my absolute-stark-raving-mad-for-this-game fanboyism, but what are you doing in that screenshot? You are in an Act 1 (checkpoint up the north west) area with a weapon that I'm 90% sure you can't get until Act 2.

Gosh Mitch... =P

Ed Borden said...

It's a dev screenshot, ssshhh -- who has time to get great screenshots when they do it for you?

Etelmik said...

The Micromachines man! I remember that guy.

This is one of those games that people have strong, opposing opinions about--I thought I could afford to miss it, but maybe I'll have to get around to it. *sigh

Iroquois Pliskin said...

This is one of those games that was not on the list this fall, but made it on due to the lobbying of the likes of Borden, Abraham, and Remo. Though the initial reviews were only guardedly positive, since release it's garnered a vocal following. Now I'm pretty excited for it. Now, if I could only stop playing fallout.

Mitch Krpata said...

No kidding -- I didn't even include it in my fall preview! Well, like I said at the time, it's always something. Last year I didn't include Call of Duty 4.

CrashTranslation said...

I'm hearing a lot of comments about the dialogue, either it's too quiet or too fast and maybe I'm not as aware of this kind of thing but I've had no such problems. I was actually waiting for it to happen at times as in some way I felt I was missing something.

Anonymous said...

I find this game frustrating, buggy, difficult, annoying and sometimes really tedious and I also come home every day and load it up for a couple hours and play completely compelled and enveloped and engaged. The malaria, the crappy weapons, the effing people who constantly shoot at you any time you see them, the hateful friends you have....

I just dearly love so many of the design choices here, even as I hate them. It's really, truly, totally and completely g-d brilliantly.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to give props to your reference from one of the better Seinfeld episodes.

Mitch Krpata said...

And yet no one has commented on the obvious reference to the Picard song. Odd.